Learn how to grow peppers the Ed Currie way. In the first event of Ed’s Reaper Growing Camp, Ed takes you through his simple, easy to follow method for growing peppers at home.
What you’ll need and what you’ll do:
- Get something to grow your peppers in. Ed uses the Ferry-Morse Pro-Hex seed starting tray. You can find one of these at most hardware stores.
- Grab some Miracle-Gro Performance Organics Potting Soil Mix or the soil of your choice to fill up your seed tray.
- Find something with a round bottom to make a slight dent in the soil that is about an 8th of an inch deep.
- Of course you need Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper® Seeds! Drop a couple in each cell (Ed likes to do two per cell).
- Cover up your seeds with a little bit of dirt. Make sure your hands are dry!
- Use a home and garden sprayer or something similar to water your seeds. Using a sprayer gives the dirt a chance to absorb the moisture so no pooling takes place. Check out the video to see how much the PuckerButt team initially waters their seeds!
- Make sure you have some fertilizer. Ed’s go-to has been Miracle-Gro Performance Organics, but he also uses Botanicare Cal-Mag and Fish Emulsion fertilizer when needed (follow along to see the results of the different fertilizers throughout the Reaper Growing Camp series).
- Place your tray in a window or a space where it will get light during the day.
- Give your seeds a little bit of water every day, just enough to moisten the top.
- We’ll start to water the plants more once they start sprouting. And, that’s when we’ll start rotating the trays, too. Stay tuned for these steps to come.
And that’s it! You’re ready to get started growing your very own Carolina Reaper® plants. Make sure you subscribe to Ed’s YouTube Channel so you don’t miss out on any Growing Camp updates. Follow along and share your progress using the hashtag #edsgrowingcamp.